KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) _ The number of people infected with the deadly Ebola virus in northern Uganda has risen by seven to 182, but no deaths have been reported in the past 24 hours, a health official said Thursday.

The death toll from the outbreak remained unchanged at 63, Francis Omaswa, director general of Uganda's medical services, said in a brief statement.

All confirmed cases have been confined to the Gulu region, 225 miles north of Kampala, according to local and international health officials.

Experts from the World Health Organization, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Doctors without Borders are in Gulu helping Ugandan authorities try to contain the disease.

On Tuesday in Geneva, WHO spokesman Valery Abramov said the epidemic could last up to three months, but WHO officials in Gulu have been more optimistic about containing the outbreak within a month.

Experts say the virus is a strain of Ebola first identified in neighboring Sudan in 1979. They are unsure how it found its way to Uganda, which had no known cases of Ebola until the present outbreak was confirmed Oct. 14.

Meanwhile, a trip to the United States by 24 Ugandan police officers has been suspended because of the Ebola outbreak. They were supposed to attend a training program beginning Friday.

U.S. Embassy spokeswoman Mary Jeffers said the program had been rescheduled for next month.

``The decision was taken on the side of the contracting organization which was to carry out the training,'' she said.