The Latest: UK base incident not being treated as terrorism
Dec. 18, 2017
LONDON (AP) — The Latest on the police response at a British air base used by U.S. Air Force (all times local):
British police investigating what they called a disturbance at an English military air base used by the U.S. Air Force say the incident is not being treated as terrorism.
Suffolk Police said a 44-year-old British man was arrested earlier Monday at the RAF Mildenhall air base "on suspicion of criminal trespass."
The facility was placed under lockdown briefly and American service members fired shots during the incident, police said. It remains unclear what the nature of the disturbance was but British media reported that a man had tried to ram the gates of the facility. Police and officials at Mildenhall declined to comment on the reports.
Police said there is no threat to the public or those on the base, and they are not looking for anyone else on the site in relation to the incident.
A British air base used by the U.S. Air Force was scouted out in 2015 by an Islamic extremist who eventually received a life sentence for plotting an attack against U.S. military personnel.
Junead Khan was tried for using his job as a delivery driver to study RAF Mildenhall, the base in England that was locked down on Monday during a disturbance that resulted in a man's arrest.
Authorities have not said if the incident at Mildenhall was suspected to be terror-related. Details have not yet been released.
A jury convicted Khan last year of planning to travel to Syria as a support of the Islamic State group and preparing possible attacks at Mildenhall and a second English base, RAF Lakenheath.
British police say they have detained a man after a "disturbance" at an English air base used by the U.S. Air Force.
Suffolk Police said American service personnel fired shots during Monday's incident at the RAF Mildenhall base before the man was arrested. They say the man suffered cuts and bruises and was taken into custody.
They say no one else was injured in the incident.
It was not immediately clear what the nature of the incident was, but British media reported that a man allegedly tried to break into the facility.
Staff Sgt. Rachelle Coleman, a spokeswoman for U.S. Air Force Europe, says a lockdown imposed at the base has been lifted. She referred all other questions to Suffolk police.
The Mildenhall base is located 80 miles (130 kilometers) north of London.
U.S. Air Force Europe says there are reports of a security incident at British air base used by the U.S. Air Force and that the situation is ongoing.
The U.S. has air-refueling assets stationed at RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk, England, located 80 miles north of London.
The Royal Air Force base says it was locked down after reports of a disturbance at 1 p.m. Monday.
It says emergency personnel are responding to the situation and that additional details would be provide when possible.
British media are suggesting someone in a vehicle tried to force his way through a checkpoint, but this hasn't been confirmed.
British police say they are responding to a "significant" incident at a Royal Air Force base used by the U.S. Air Force.
Police say it happened at RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk and urged the public to stay away from the area for the time being. Police said Monday that further details would be released shortly.
British media suggested an individual in a vehicle tried to force his way through a checkpoint, but this wasn't confirmed.
RAF officials referred calls to police.