2 kidnapped construction workers released in Libya
SARAH EL DEEB
Jul. 07, 2014
CAIRO (AP) — Two of three European construction workers kidnapped in Libya over the weekend have been released, authorities said Monday.
The three — a Bosnian, a Macedonian and an Italian — had been working for an Italian construction company when they were kidnapped Saturday in the western town of Zuwara, near the Tunisian border.
Officials from Macedonia and Bosnia said Libyan authorities found the Macedonian man, identified as 29-year-old Miljazim Gafuri, on Monday along with Bosnian engineer Petar Matic.
A Libyan security official said the two were found in Tripoli and had been returned to Zuwara, where they were being debriefed. The Libyan official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters, said the search for the Italian engineer was still underway but a suspect is being interrogated in the case.
Elena Becatoros contributed from Athens.