Generous Oklahoma deputy assists family affected by fire
By CYDNEY BARON
Nov. 27, 2017
CLAREMORE, Okla. (AP) — A husband and wife were traveling through Rogers County when something in their vehicle sparked, causing an electrical fire.
The fire quickly spread and burned most of their belongings inside the vehicle.
The family was able to escape injury themselves, but their belongings didn't fare as well, according to a sergeant with Rogers County Sheriff's Office, who was careful to exclude the name of the deputy who, he said, wouldn't want the attention.
"The good Samaritan deputy took it upon himself to take them to Walmart and purchase things they would need," the sergeant told the Claremore Daily Progress .
The act of kindness didn't end there.
"He takes the couple, with their 1-year-old and 2-year-old, to Walmart and out of his own pocket gives them what I think is a very generous gift card to replace what they'd lost," Sheriff Scott Walton said.
Hearing what had happened, Walmart matched the gifted amount.
"When I saw the shift report I knew immediately who it was. This particular guy looks for those opportunities," Walton said. "Here's a guy that will never see these people again giving of his own resources."
When the now-stranded family mentioned they were waiting for family from Missouri to come pick them up, Walmart offered to let them wait in the employee lounge.
"So in the middle of the night, Walmart made everything as good as they could for people who'd had a bad experience," Walton said. "I count these as huge blessings — that I'm able to work with people who are good to their core, with hearts as big as the universe, and we serve a community that's the same."
Walton added, "This is why we do this job. It sounds corny, but we get to help people. Sometimes helping people comes in all different forms."
Of the anonymous deputy, Walton said, "he's experienced, he's seen a lot — but he still sees the good."
Information from: Claremore Daily Progress, http://www.claremoreprogress.com