NEW YORK (AP) _ Charges have been dropped against seven of eight people accused in the beating death of a drug-addict who stole $20 from a customer at a bakery, and the only remaining defendant plans to ask that his charges also be dropped.

The Manhattan district attorney's office announced Monday that manslaughter charges against seven people accused in the death of Raymundo Carabello, 41, had been dropped for lack of evidence.

Charges remain against an eighth person, Jesus Negron, 23. He has been indicted on charges of first- and second-degree manslaughter in the March 20 mob attack and is being held in $15,000 bail. He faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted of first-degree manslaughter.

The eight were charged with chasing down Carabello and beating and kicking him to death after he snatched $20 from a woman in the Capri Bakery.

Negron's lawyer, Ira Van Leer, said he planned to ask that the charges be dropped.

''You can't say my client was the cause of this,'' he said. ''He was one of 20 or 30 people that took part in it, and all of them were cut loose.''

Colleen Roche, spokeswoman for the district attorney's office, said four defendants admitted using force to restrain Carabello but evidence showed Negron had kicked the man continuously while he was down.