LOS ANGELES (AP) _ Record-holding stuntman Dar Robinson, considered by many to be the best in the business, died Friday while filming a stunt for the movie ''Million Dollar Industry,'' a film spokesman said. Robinson was 39.

Details of the accident were sketchy, but it apparently involved a motorcycle and occurred on location in Page, Ariz., a small town in the desert, said Roger Armstrong, a spokesman for DeLaurentiis Entertainment Group in Los Angeles.

No one else was hurt in the accident, Armstrong said.

No cast had been set for ''Million Dollar Industry,'' a comedy being produced by Productions Limited and scheduled for release by DeLaurentiis Entertainment Group, Armstrong said.

Armstrong, who planned to travel to the set Saturday, said no further information was being released ''pending investigative procedures.''

Robinson, from Los Angeles, held more than 21 world stunt records and appeared in such movies as ''Sharky's Machine,'' ''Turk 182,'' and ''Stick.'' He also did a lot of work with television's ''That's Incredible.''

In 1980, Robinson did a 900-foot free fall from Toronto's Canadian National Tower with a wire cable that stopped him 200 feet from the ground. It marked his second successful jump from the world's tallest free-standing structure.

A year earlier, he jumped from the 1,821-foot tower, but opened a parchute toward the end and floated to the ground. He reportedly received $250,000 for the parachute leap.

Robinson, who also performed a free fall from the top of the Houston Astrodome, also held the record for a jump from a helicopter. On Sept. 2, 1978, he jumped 286 feet from a helicopter in Buena Park to eclipse a record of 280 feet held by fellow stuntman A.J. Bakunas.

Bakunas died later that month trying to regain the world free-fall record from Robinson. In Lexington, Ky., the air bag designed to cushion Bakunas' 115-mile per hour landing burst when he hit it.

A stunt performed by Robinson on ''The Tonight Show'' prompted a lawsuit against NBC and its Providence, R.I., affiliate. A Providence couple contended in the suit that their 14-year-old son had hanged himself accidentally while trying to imitate the stunt. The suit was dismissed in 1980.