DETROIT (AP) _ Dr. Jack Kevorkian has decided not to stage a hunger strike during his imprisonment on a second-degree murder conviction, his lawyer said Thursday.

Kevorkian was sentenced Tuesday to up to 25 years in prison for the injection death of a Lou Gehrig's disease patient. He previously had told a newspaper that he would begin a hunger strike immediately upon entering prison.

But Thursday, lawyer Mayer Morganroth said the assisted suicide advocate told him he was eating and would continue to do so.

Kevorkian ``had changed his mind back and forth several times that day,'' Morganroth said.

The same day Kevorkian went to prison, state prison officials said they had reversed their policy on force-feeding. Under the new policy, Kevorkian, 70, would have been allowed to starve himself.

Morganroth said Kevorkian was in good spirits Thursday after a routine checkup.

``He said the medical facilities are excellent, they gave him a checkup and he had a little high blood pressure, but that's about it,'' Morganroth said.

Kevorkian was convicted last month of second degree murder for injecting Thomas Youk, 52, with a lethal dose of chemicals in September at Youk's request.

Kevorkian, who says he has helped 130 people kill themselves since 1990, sent a videotape of the death of the Lou Gehrig's patient to ``60 Minutes,'' hoping to force the issue of assisted suicide into the limelight.

The tape and the show's interview with Kevorkian were the prosecution's main evidence.

Kevorkian has been tried in the past, but the trials ended in acquittals and one mistrial. He will be eligible for parole in about eight years.