Missing Submachine Guns Found; Most Sequestered Soldiers Released
Jan. 14, 1987
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) _ Two submachine guns missing since last week have been found and most of more than 500 Fort Bragg soldiers sequestered during the search have gone back to their normal activities, officials said today.
Maj. Mike Nason, spokesman for the 82nd Airborne Division, said three suspects were being questioned by the Criminal Investigation Division following the recovery of the M3A1, .45-caliber weapons. No charges have been filed, he said.
''During the night, the missing weapons were recovered,'' he said. ''I know how we found them but I'm not at liberty to say. I expect later there will be more information coming, but probably not today.''
About 30 soldiers remained restricted to their units as the investigation continued, Nason said.
The weapons apparently were removed from two Sheridan tanks during a field exercise near Orangeburg, S.C. Seven Criminal Investigation Division agents are working on the case, Nason said.
The soldiers were being detained in barracks, he said.