CART's Race in Germany Canceled
Jul. 16, 2002
%mlink(STRY:; PHOTO:; AUDIO:%)
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) _ CART has lost one of its two European races with the cancellation of the German 500.
The Indianapolis-based open-wheel circuit said Tuesday that the race scheduled Sept. 21 was canceled by promoters at EuroSpeedway in Lausitz. CART competed on the track for the first time last year.
CART said the organizers are not in position to host the event this year following EuroSpeedway's insolvency filing earlier this month. Earlier this year, CART and the EuroSpeedway organizers had entered into a co-promotional agreement for the operation of the German 500.
``Germany is an important market and we are disappointed the race will not be held, but the only proposed solution was basically for us to write a large check on top of the financial commitment we had already made,'' CART president Christopher R. Pook said. ``We will shift our European focus to other markets.''
CART will continue to race in Europe this season, again contesting the Rockingham 500 on Sept. 14 at Rockingham Motor Speedway in England.
Last fall in Lausitz, Kenny Brack won the inaugural German 500, a race marred by a crash in which two-time former CART champion Alex Zinardi lost his legs.