Sheriff Bitten By Poisonous Snake At Religious Service
Aug. 05, 1985
CANTON, N.C. (AP) _ A sheriff bitten by a poisonous snake as he broke up a religious service was listed in stable condition in a hospital, a spokeswoman said.
Sheriff Jack Arrington, appearing weak and pale, was admitted to Haywood County Hospital Sunday, said Joan Mackey.
Authorities said Arrington was bitten on the thumb when he and deputies confiscated snakes used in a service in which a man held up 10 of the reptiles, including four rattlesnakes, as a display of his faith, authorities said.
Charles Prince was charged with two counts of handling reptiles of a poisonous nature and one count of resisting and delaying officers, said chief Deputy Kyle Grasty.