SYDNEY (AP) — Much-traveled winger Matt Carraro scored his first try in Super Rugby to break a 24-24 halftime deadlock and put the New South Wales Waratahs on the path to a 39-30 win over the Wellington-based Hurricanes in Super Rugby on Saturday.

The 29-year-old Carraro scored the decisive try in his first Super Rugby start since 2008, allowing the Waratahs to post their sixth win of the season and their eighth-straight win at home.

The Waratahs and Hurricanes engaged in an extraordinary points-scoring duel in the first half, matching each other with three tries, three conversions and a penalty apiece to leave the game in the balance at halftime.

Defenses became more miserly in the second half and Carraro's maiden try, followed by another from Stephen Hoiles, finally split the teams.

The Waratahs opened the scoring after only two minutes with a try by winger Rob Horne from a sweeping movement down the left touch. Bernard Foley's conversion — the first of his six successful shots at goal — gave the home team a 7-0 lead and carried the flyhalf past 100 points for the season.

The Hurricanes then stunned the Waratahs with three tries in 13 minutes to seize a 24-7 lead. Prop Jeffery Toomaga-Allen first barged over from close range, then the Hurricanes twice ran back kickoffs for tries — the first to flyhalf Beauden Barrett and the next to winger Julian Savea.

Fullback Andre Taylor cut open the Waratahs' defense for the second try, linking with scrumhalf TJ Perenara who was pulled down just short of the line. The Waratahs regained possession but, in trying to move the ball behind their own goalline, spilled a pass between Israel Folau and Wycliff Palu, allowing Barrett to pounce for the try.

In a match of stark momentum shifts, the Waratahs then went on the offensive, scoring tries through captain Dave Dennis and Foley, who converted both tries and kicked a penalty to level the scores at halftime.

Waratahs flanker Mike Hooper, named man of the match, made a crucial, try-saving tackle on Perenara in the 42nd minute to prevent a Hurricanes resurgence and Carraro's try gave the home side a lead they retained until fulltime.

The winger first played for the Waratahs in 2008, then joined England club Bath and French side Montpelier before rejoining New South Wales this season.

His try restored the Waratahs' momentum and Hoiles' in the 65th minute made the win secure. Foley's second penalty five minutes from fulltime extended the gap between the teams to nine points and denied the Hurricanes even a consolation bonus point.

"It's a tough one to take," Hurricanes captain Conrad Smith said. "We did well with our opportunities in the first half but we just missed a couple in that second half.

"They attacked very well and scored points and we just couldn't keep up."


New South Wales Waratahs 39 (Rob Horne, Dave Dennis, Bernard Foley, Matthew Carraro, Stephen Hoiles tries; Bernard Foley 4 conversions, 2 penalties), Hurricanes 30 (Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Beauden Barrett, Julian Savea tries; Beauden Barrett 3 conversions, 3 penalties). HT: 24-24.