LOS ANGELES (AP) _ The new judge in the ''Night Stalker'' serial killings case said Tuesday that the trial of Richard Ramirez will be delayed as he pores over 30 volumes of transcripts.

Ramirez's trial had been scheduled to start Dec. 2, but Superior Court Judge Michael Tynan said it would be impossible to begin that early. He didn't set a new date.

Ramirez, 26, is charged with 14 murders and 31 other felonies in the series of break-ins and attacks on people in their homes that terrorized Southern California in the summer of 1985.

The case was transferred from the court of Superior Court Judge Dion Morrow after Deputy District Attorney P. Philip Halpin filed a challenge in what he said was an effort to speed up the case.

Morrow remains in charge of a change-of-venue motion that is to be heard Nov. 26.

The defense is challenging the transfer to Tynan in an appeal.

Defense attorneys Arturo and Daniel Hernandez, who are not related, said from the outset they couldn't be ready for trial.

''We still have to discuss with our client the process and whether we want a continuance,'' Arturo Hernandez said Tuesday.

The attorney said he had researched murder cases of similar magnitude around the country and found that ''no case goes to trial in less than two years.''

''And here we are with barely a year,'' he told the judge.