Small fire in UN headquarters' basement quickly put out
Mar. 23, 2015
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — A small fire in the basement of the U.N. General Assembly building sent smoke into corridors on the lower floors of the U.N. complex before it was quickly put out.
U.N. spokeswoman Vannina Maestracci said the fire was in the area of the gift shop and was "promptly put out by the U.N. fire unit and New York Fire Department." She said the preliminary investigation indicated that it was an electrical fire.
She said there was some water damage to the area.
The fire broke out Sunday evening shortly after the U.N. Security Council held an emergency meeting on Yemen in an adjoining building.