Former NBC News President Leaving in Staff Cuts
Dec. 04, 1986
NEW YORK (AP) _ Reuven Frank, who twice served as president of NBC News and produced ''The Huntley-Brinkley Report,'' has become one of the casualties of the network's cost-cutting campaign.
Frank, 65, was told by current NBC News President Lawrence Grossman, his successor, that his contract as an executive producer of documentaries would not be renewed, according to a report in today's New York Times.
Frank has been working as a documentary producer since 1984, when he retired as news division president, a post he had held since 1982. He previously was president of the division from 1968 until 1973, when he also returned to producing.
NBC has announced it is cutting 300 positions, nearly 30 of them in the news division, to cut costs in the face of lower revenue growth.
Grossman told the Times that Frank's special production contract is not cost-effective for the network and that it is more economical for NBC to contract each documentary on a separate basis.
Frank, who has been with NBC since 1950, produced its convention coverage in addition to the evening news show with David Brinkley and the late Chet Huntley. One of his documentaries, ''The Tunnel,'' a 1962 broadcast about the Berlin Wall, won an Emmy award as the program of the year.
Frank told the Times he will look for work in television and is considering writing his memoirs. He said of his tenure at NBC that ''I would not trade this career for anything,'' and ''I would be very ungracious to complain.''