Aston Villa striker Benteke pens new deal to 2017
Jul. 19, 2013
BIRMINGHAM, England (AP) — Aston Villa says that striker Christian Benteke has withdrawn his transfer request and signed a contract extension through to 2017.
Benteke submitted a written request last week amid reported interest from Tottenham, Liverpool and Chelsea.
However, Villa says Benteke penned a new deal Friday.
The 22-year-old says "I spoke with the manager when I returned to training and we had a good talk. I am very happy to ... sign a new contract."
Benteke scored 19 goals for Villa last season after signing from Genk. The Belgium forward went on strike to force a move to the Premier League.