Minnesota man convicted in girlfriend's stabbing death
Nov. 27, 2017
ANOKA, Minn. (AP) — An eastern Minnesota man has been convicted of killing a mentally diminished woman whom he had dated off and on and was legally barred from seeing.
Lucas Jablonski, 26, was convicted last week of second-degree murder in the fatal stabbing last year of 34-year-old Rebecca Drewlo, The Star Tribune reported .
The woman's mother, Laura Drewlo, said her daughter had been in her care since she was 18 but was in a program to help her live independently with professional assistance.
Laura Drewlo was awarded a restraining order against Jablonski on her daughter's behalf in 2014. The mother said in court documents that Jablonski had taken advantage of her daughter sexually and financially. She said her daughter "lacks sufficient understanding" and didn't understand the consequences.
Police said they responded to an emergency call at Rebecca Drewlo's apartment in August 2016 and found Jablonski wounded outside. Drewlo was found dead in the apartment. Video surveillance shows the two outside of the apartment shortly after midnight, according to court documents.
Jablonski was released from prison in May 2014 after a robbery conviction and had been living in Rebecca Drewlo's home.
Jablonski has been in jail since September 2016 for violating the restraining order. He'll be sentenced in January.
Information from: Star Tribune, http://www.startribune.com