PLYMOUTH, Mass. (AP) — Investigators are blaming smoking on a fire at a Plymouth apartment building that took the life of one resident.

The official cause of the blaze reported at about 2 a.m. Wednesday was improper disposal of smoking materials.

The victim was described as 62-year-old man, but his name has not been made public. He was found in a second-floor bedroom.

Neighbors reported the fire when flames blew out the windows of the corner bedroom. Responding firefighters found the front end of the bedroom engulfed in flames.

There were five units in the 2 ½-story home and at least six other residents have been displaced.

There have now been 17 fire-related deaths in Massachusetts this year.