1 eagle dies of lead poisoning, another is injured by trap
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — A Delaware animal rescue official says a bald eagle has died of reported lead poisoning and another eagle is being treated for injuries sustained in a snare trap.
The Delaware News Journal reported Tuesday that the executive director of Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research Inc., Lisa Smith, says these types of injuries and deaths are preventable.
She says the poisoned eagle was found severely emaciated in Sussex County and was likely poisoned by eating a carcass tainted by lead ammunition or fragments. Smith says lead poisoning accounts for about a dozen bird rescues each year, but many more fall sick and die in the wild.
Smith says the injured juvenile eagle is the first rescued bald eagle of the year. She says it’s being treated for a sliced wing.
Information from: The News Journal of Wilmington, Del., http://www.delawareonline.com