Aiken Civic Orchestra to open season with pops concert
The Aiken Civic Orchestra, under the baton of Adam DePriest, will open its seventh season with its annual pops concert this weekend.
The concert will be at 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 7, in St. John’s United Methodist Church at 104 Newberry St. N.W. The concert is free and open to the public, but donations will be accepted.
The program will feature music from Broadway musicals, including “My Fair Lady” and “Phantom of the Opera”; films, including music from “James Bond,” “Star Wars” and “Indiana Jones” movies; and other popular scores for orchestra, including selections by American composer Leroy Anderson, according to a news release from the orchestra.
Concertgoers also can enter a drawing to win a chauffeured ride around Aiken in a new Tesla Model 3 and then join DePriest for a sponsored dinner at the Green Boundary Club. Tickets will be sold at the door for $30 each or two for $50.
“We hope audience members will be interested in the chance to experience this wonderful all-electric, smart car as well as dinner at an Aiken landmark,” DePriest said in the news release.
The Aiken Civic Orchestra has several other programs planned for the fall as follows:
• Oct. 25: “All-Steinway, All Together,” USC Aiken Etherredge Center, to help support the final leg of the Steinway campaign at USCA to become an all-Steinway school
• Nov. 11: “Harvest Home Concert,” featuring several vocal ensembles, to benefit ACTS
• Dec. 1: “Messiah” sing along in North Augusta
• Dec. 9: A collaboration with the Augusta Chorale at Paine College in Augusta
• Dec. 14: Christmas concert.
“We are looking forward to a wonderful season,” DePriest said.
The Aiken Civic Orchestra is on Facebook at facebook.com/aikencivicorchestra.
Want to go?
WHAT: Aiken Civic Orchestra pops concert
WHEN: 3:30 p.m. Sunday
WHERE: St. John’s United Methodist Church, 104 Newberry St. N.W.
COST: Free, but donations will be accepted
FOR MORE INFORMATION: Visit facebook.com/aikencivicorchestra.