Four Die in Baltimore Row House Fire
BALTIMORE (AP) _ A television set started a fire that swept through a row house early Friday, killing two children, their aunt and grandmother, fire officials said.
Three other siblings and the mother of the five children also were injured in the blaze, including one child hospitalized in critical condition, officials said.
Sheila Travers said she was with her five children in a back bedroom when the fire started.
″The smoke was so thick it pushed us back and trapped us all. We couldn’t get out,″ she said.
Travers’ 10-year-old daughter, Angela, 11-year-old son Christopher, and their aunt, Michelle Travers, 27, died in the blaze, fire Capt. Pat Flynn said. Dorothy Travers, 56, the children’s grandmother, died later of smoke inhalation and burns, Flynn said. She had invited the family to spend Thanksgiving night at her home, he said.
Teresa Travers, 13, was in critical condition at St. Agnes Hospital, and her 9-year-old sister, April Travers, was in stable condition.
Sheila Travers and her 7-year-old son, James Lee, were treated for injuries but not hospitalized.
The fire apparently was ignited by a malfunctioning television set in a second-floor bedroom, Flynn said.
Gladys John, a neighbor, said she and others tried to rescue some of the children from a second-floor bedroom.
″Everybody got around, telling them to throw the children, but the children wouldn’t let go, they wanted to stay with the mother,″ she said.