AP NEWS

COM student nurses help resuscitate electrician

October 11, 2018

Four nursing students taking a break from a CPR class at College of the Mainland in Texas City took action last month when an electrician was jolted by a live wire, according to a press release from the school.

The students were in the administration building at about 10:30 a.m. Sept. 19 when they saw Gary Glover, a Crescent Electric Co. electrician supervisor who is part of a crew doing maintenance work on the campus, in distress.

Glover, who has worked as an electrician for 35 years, was using a crowbar to lift a manhole cover when the bar contacted a live wire, according to the press release. Lorrin Ching, a COM electrician working alongside him, was able to roll him away from the cover and begin CPR.

The four student nurses — Alexis Boettcher, Rachel Cunningham, Shanee Scribner and Andrea Strickland — determined Glover had no pulse and took over chest compressions. Strickland called COM police on her cell phone to request an automated external defibrillator.

COM police Lt. Jill Hammond soon arrived with an AED and was able to help get Glover’s heart into rhythm. The students continued with heart compressions, and Glover eventually responded. He was transported by ambulance to the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston.

Glover, 55, returned to work at the Texas City campus five days later and said he remembers lifting the manhole cover but didn’t realize he had so many helping to revive him.

“Thank you,” he said when he met the four student nurses for the first time, according to the press release. “Thank you all.”

The student nurses, who are expected to graduate in December with an associate degree in nursing, were on break from Complex Concepts of Adult Health, a class taught by Deanna Machula and Debra Bauer, when the incident occurred. The class usually gets a 10-minute break, but that day they received a 15-minute break.

“Mr. Glover is alive today because of the coordinated actions of everyone who initiated CPR and early defibrillation. The fact that they were able to ask for and obtain an AED saved Mr. Glover’s life,” Bauer said, according to the press release.

Cunningham said she was glad they studied the cardiovascular system in class that day.

“I actually had to call our instructor and another classmate to tell them we were going to be late coming back to class because we were doing CPR on a man that got shocked,” Cunningham said.

For more about the COM nursing program, visit http://www.com.edu/nursing.

AP RADIO
Update hourly