Threat causes lockdown of Rockwood schools
State police are continuing their investigation after the Rockwood Area School District was placed on lockdown for about two hours Thursday after someone threatened individuals inside the school.
According to a press release, following the start of the school day, the district received “information of a specific credible threat of violence directed towards individuals in the district.”
State police were called and the district was placed on what was described as a “soft external lockdown.” External entrances were secured while student and staff routines inside the school continued as normal. Any staff members supervising students outside the school were notified.
After the school was notified by state police that the source of the threat had been “located and secured,” the lockdown was lifted around 10:45 a.m. The school did not release the names of any individuals involved, and state police did not release any information.
Parents were apprised of the situation via phone calls and emails.
Superintendent Mark Bower said the district has crisis plans in place when situations arise.
“We have a crisis plan,” he said.
“We drill at the beginning of the school year. We conducted evacuation drills, lockdown drills, and those plans serve as a road map like anything else.”