AP NEWS

No one injured in Washington Township fire

November 26, 2018

No one was injured and a home sustained only minor damage during an afternoon fire in Washington Township.

Washington Township Volunteer Fire Company Chief Clayton Murphy said the fire started around 12:30 p.m. in a dryer in the basement of a home in the 1700 block of Hancock Avenue.

“It actually just burned the dryer up and filled the whole house with smoke,” he said.

Murphy said crews were able to knock out the fire relatively quickly, but had to spend about an hour and a half ventilating the house.

He said there were no windows in the basement, so firefighters had to suck the smoke out of the basement and out the door.

Murphy said the homeowners will be able to stay in the house, but may need to have a cleaner come and remove the smell of smoke.

AP RADIO
Update hourly