AP NEWS

Report: FBI launches first investigation into cyberattack on 2018 congressional candidate

October 23, 2018

The FBI has launched its first investigation into a cyberattack on a 2018 Congressional candidate, Rolling Stone reported Tuesday.

The bureau is probing attacks that targeted Bryan Caforio, a Democrat who lost a highly competitive congressional primary in Southern California earlier this year, according to the magazine.

Mr. Caforio is said to be the victim of a distributed denial of service, or DDoS, attack, which crashed his campaign website four times in a five-week span. The attacks occurred several hours before the biggest debate of the primary and a week before the election itself, Rolling Stone reported.

“I’m glad the FBI has now launched an investigation into the hack,” Mr. Caforio said in a statement to Rolling Stone. “These attacks put our democracy at risk, and they’ll keep happening until we take them seriously and start to punish those responsible.”

Mr. Caforio finished third in California’s 25th Congressional District, currently represented by Rep. Steve Knight, a Republican, but viewed as a seat the Democrats could flip in November.

AP RADIO
Update hourly