Related topics

Artillery Knocks out Water, Electricity; U

November 17, 1992

Artillery Knocks out Water, Electricity; U.N. Still Says Cease-Fire Holding With PM-Yugoslavia, Bjt

SARAJEV0, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) _ Intensified artillery fire around Sarajevo knocked out electricity and water in much of the city, U.N. officials said today. But they remained optimistic about a 6-day-old cease-fire.

Fighting continued in several areas of Bosnia, and the U.N. peacekeeping force sought to deploy more observers to get a clearer picture of the trouble spots.

Cmdr. Barry Frewer, a Canadian naval officer and peacekeeper spokesman, said U.N. engineering teams were fanning out through Sarajevo to assess the damage to water and electricity systems after Monday’s attack.

Sarajevo’s water and electricity are frequently cut by shells landing on a main supply line.

″The artillery fire was more intense than since the beginning of the cease-fire,″ Frewer said. ″But we hope it was just an isolated incident. Overall, the intensity of the fighting is considerably reduced.″

Early today, a U.N. reconnaisance team headed out from Sarajevo to inspect part of a strategic highway linking the capital to the southwestern city of Mostar.

Military leaders of the warring sides agreed Monday to allow free access on the road for U.N. relief convoys, a move that could make the overland trip to Sarajevo much shorter.

Frewer said the Mostar-Sarajevo road would be far easier to keep open during the winter than any of the circuitous alternate routes from the Adriatic port city of Split.

Meanwhile, Larry Hollingsworth, an official with the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, said 500 tons of garbage were collected from Sarajevo streets and sidewalks Monday, the first day of a U.N.-assisted clean-up campaign launched to take advantage of the cease-fire.

Garbage had gone uncollected for months because truck drivers feared sniper fire.

Hollingsworth said many residents came out of their homes with shovels to help the clean-up crews. He said the entire city could be cleared of trash in five or six days.

Bosnian radio reported heavy fighting in several areas of the republic, including Tesanj and Gradacac to the north of Sarajevo. It said hundreds of shells were fired at Gradacac during the night.

Although fighting in Sarajevo has ebbed under the cease-fire, snipers remain a threat.

A Slovene photojournalist, in the Bosnian capital only days, was recovering Tuesday from a five-hour operation after she was shot in the head by a sniper while driving through the city.

Twenty-three-year-old Darja Lebar, who works for the Ljubljana-based news weekly Mladina, was hit below the eye on Monday, said Ervin Hladnik, another Slovenian news photographer who was in the car at the time.

He said she was expected to remain at least a week at Sarajevo’s Kosevo hospital but was unlikely to suffer any long-term damage.

Nearly 30 journalists have been killed covering the war in former Yugoslavia, and scores more wounded.

Update hourly