AP NEWS
Related topics

2 Maine garbage collectors treated at hospital

October 5, 2013

YORK, Maine (AP) — Two garbage collectors in the Maine town of York had to be treated at the hospital after being exposed to toxic fumes from hazardous chemicals that were improperly disposed of in garbage bags.

The fire chief says the two men spotted a smoke coming from the back of their garbage truck after they had picked up the bags early Friday morning.

They removed the bags and called 911.

Authorities say the homeowner had recently moved into the residence and was cleaning out some of the chemicals stored in the home. He says the homeowner didn’t realize they could cause a chemical reaction when combined.

The fire chief tells WCSH-TV (http://on.wcsh6.com/1aW8zju ) that the homeowner will not face charges but may have to pay for the response and cleanup costs.

___

Information from: WCSH-TV, http://www.wcsh6.com

AP RADIO
Update hourly