Prosecutors get warrant request for Tigers player
DETROIT (AP) — Prosecutors said Wednesday they plan to review a request for charges against a 28-year-old Detroit Tigers player following a sexual assault complaint.
The Wayne County prosecutor’s office said has received a warrant request from police and a charging decision isn’t expected this week. The prosecutor’s office didn’t release the player’s name, but said the alleged assault took place March 30 at MotorCity Casino Hotel in Detroit.
In April, The Associated Press and others reported 28-year-old Tigers right-hander Evan Reed was facing a sexual assault complaint.
“A thorough review of all of the evidence must be conducted before a decision can be made,” the prosecutor’s office said in a statement. “No further information about the case will be released until a charging decision is made.”
A statement Wednesday from David Gorcyca and Ben M. Gonek, Reed’s attorneys, said Reed has fully cooperated with the Detroit Police Department since the investigation began, and Reed also voluntarily gave a statement to investigators.
“Evan, through his lawyers, in a rare move also provided the Detroit Police Department with witness statements, a test result, and a supplemental witness statement which details the alleged complainant’s actions after the incident,” they said.
In the statement, Gorcyca and Gonek said they are confident the case “will be closed” after a review from prosecutors.
Tigers vice president Ron Colangelo issued a statement saying, “Since this is an on-going investigation it would be inappropriate to comment.”
The Tigers were in Cleveland on Wednesday to wrap up a series against the Indians before returning to Detroit.
Reed, a reliever, is 0-1 with a 3.0 ERA this season. He’s pitched in 17 games. He was 0-1 with a 4.24 ERA in 16 games last year as a rookie.