AP NEWS

Woman, child killed after being shocked at Nash County motel by air conditioner

August 21, 2018

The site where a woman was electrocuted by an air conditioning unit.

Authorities said Tuesday that a woman and a 9-year-old child staying at a Nash County motel were killed Monday when they were shocked by an air conditioner in the room, authorities and family members said.

The two were guests in a room at the Economy Inn Hotel and Suites, located off of Interstate 95 in Nash County, when the incident occurred.

Authorities on Tuesday declined to release the names of the woman, 31, and the child, 9. It was not immediately clear what their relationship was.

There was apparently an issue with an air conditioner in the room and the woman tried to reset the unit when she was electrocuted. The two were rushed for treatment to a local hospital, although the child’s condition was not immediately released.

A family member of the woman told WRAL News that she died after being shocked.

“You’ve got families living in here and she was doing the right thing,” said her cousin, Tony Williams. “She lost her life in her room.”

Several officers were seen going into the room during their investigation. An electrician was also at the scene.

It was not clear if charges would be filed in connection with the woman’s death.

A motel employee declined to comment.

AP RADIO
Update hourly