Related topics

Police Reveal Details of Gunman’s Stormy Stint With Insurance Company

February 19, 1993

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) _ A fired insurance manager who killed three former bosses had a stormy stint with the company, including threats against colleagues and a near fist fight with a supervisor, a police report reveals.

And when he was let go from Fireman’s Fund Insurance Cos. after two years of employment, Paul Calden left a chilling prediction: ″You haven’t seen the last of me.″

His disgruntlement festered for 10 months, erupting at lunchtime Jan. 27 when he walked into a crowded office building cafeteria and fatally shot three supervisors and wounded two others. He then drove to a park in Clearwater and shot himself dead.

Police released a report Wednesday as they wrapped up their investigation offering a picture of the enmity between Calden and his employers.

For example, Calden filed a harassment complaint after a co-worker displayed a bumper sticker that mentioned ″kicking a Gator.″ Calden considered it offensive to his alma mater, the University of Florida.

In February 1991, Calden came close to a fist fight with a supervisor over a written reprimand. Another supervisor had to intervene to prevent any punches.

Later, Calden threatened to sue Fireman’s for denying him a merit raise.

He also blamed the company for bleeding ulcers that he said demanded regular blood transfusions to replace the pint of blood he claimed to be losing every day.

When his supervisors asked him to provide documentation of his illness, he refused. An autopsy revealed Calden had no ulcers.

In March 1992, Calden threatened a female co-worker who had parked in his favorite spot. Calden later denied reports he had cursed at her and said he would sue her.

By the end of that month, Fireman’s Fund supervisors had enough. They decided to fire him for misconduct, alleging he lied about his illness to receive paid time off from work.

Calden, 33, left behind no clues, no notes. Police said a review of hundreds of personal computer disks found in his apartment revealed nothing to help their homicide investigation.

″We can only believe he was severely disgruntled and never forgave them for firing him,″ said lead investigator Sgt. Harold Sells.

Killed were Ronald J. Ciarlone of Brandon, 46; Frank Ditullio of Palm Harbor, 43; and Donald C. Jerner of Belleair, 46.

The two who were wounded, Sheila E. Cascade of Tampa, 52, and Marie ″Jo″ MacMillan, 56, of Palm Harbor, are still in Tampa General Hospital, listed in fair condition.

Update hourly