Related topics

Adelaide beat Melbourne City to go top in A-League

November 2, 2014

SYDNEY (AP) — Adelaide United beat Melbourne City 2-1 to retain second place in the fourth round of Australian football’s A-League and leave City’s Spanish star David Villa without a win from his short sojourn Down Under.

Marcelo Carrusca scored from the penalty spot in 79th minute to maintain Adelaide’s unbeaten record this season. Adelaide briefly moved atop the league table with three wins and a draw, ahead of Perth which beat Newcastle 2-1 on Saturday and before league-leader Sydney FC beat Central Coast 2-0.

The Melbourne Victory host Wellington on Monday and Western Sydney Wanderers take on champions Brisbane.

The 32-year-old Villa joined Melbourne City on a short-term loan this season and now leaves to rejoin New York City. His scored two goals in a four-match A-League stay, but was unable to help City to a win.

City had 1-1 draws with Sydney FC and Newcastle, and lost 5-2 to the Melbourne Victory and 2-1 to Adelaide to sink to seventh place on the 10-team table.

Villa came close to scoring in his farewell match when he beat Tarek Elrich and forced a sharp save for goalkeeper Eugene Galekovic in the 10th minute. He caused problems for Adelaide down the left side throughout the match and went close to scoring again in the second half before Adelaide clinched its victory.

City went ahead in the ninth minute when captain Patrick Kisnorbo headed home Damien Duff’s swinging corner. Adelaide equalized in the 39th minute after a long spell of scrappy play. Elrich was given space down the right and his cross was met by the unmarked Bruce Djite who headed it home.

Carrusca had the chance to score the winner when referee Chris Beath pointed to the penalty spot after Andrew Redmayne brought down Bruce Kamau.

“It was a fantastic team effort,” Djite said. “When you go 1-0 down away it’s always very difficult.”

Perth beat Newcastle 2-1 after a flurry of late goals to post its third win in four matches.

Argentine striker Jeronimo put Newcastle ahead in the 74th minute, but substitute Jamie Maclaren scored in the 77th and 80th minutes to snatch the win.

“They came with a game plan and they executed it very well,” Maclaren said. “They went 1-0 up and they probably thought the game was over. But we stuck at it and thankfully we got the three points.”

Update hourly