AP NEWS

Fire that closed part of Vermont road caused by gas leak

November 29, 2018

BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — Vermont firefighters say a fire that closed a section of Interstate 89 was caused by natural gas leaking from a vehicle at J&B International Truck Center in Colchester.

The Burlington Free Press reports the gas was accidentally ignited Wednesday by heating equipment, which caused an explosion, leading to the four-alarm fire.

About 70 emergency responders battled the blaze. Crews remained on the scene of the fire for almost eight hours.

Police closed a section of Interstate 89 between Colchester and Winooski for several hours and urged motorists to avoid the area and take alternate routes.

___

Information from: The Burlington Free Press, http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com

AP RADIO
Update hourly