AP NEWS

New Year’s morning fire damages east Roseburg home

January 3, 2019

Bedding too close to a portable heater is being blamed for a New Year’s morning fire that badly damaged a home in east Roseburg, according to Roseburg Fire Department officials.

Officials said they were called by the residents of a home in the 2100 block of Southeast Balsam Avenue, at 5:41 a.m. Tuesday. They found heavy, black smoke and flames in the back of the residence, with a gaming room fully involved and smoke throughout the home.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, which was contained to the gaming room and its contents.

The residents were able to get out safely with no injuries, but a cat and two pet mice died in the fire.

The fire caused water, smoke and structural damage to the residence, estimated at about $50,000. Fire officials said the home was valued at $125,000.

Fire officials say heating equipment is the leading cause of home fire deaths, many of which occur in the months of December, January and February.

It is recommended that residents keep any flammable items at least 3 feet away from heaters, furnaces, wood stoves or fire places. Portable heaters should always be turned off when leaving a room or going to bed.

Eleven firefighters assisted with personnel from Pacific Power, Avista Utilities, Roseburg Police and Umpqua Valley Ambulance also on scene.

The residents at the home were aided by the American Red Cross with immediate necessities.

AP RADIO
Update hourly