Sexual assault suspect unable to stand trial
HUNTINGTON — The case against a Prichard man accused of sexually abusing and photographing a 10-year-old child as he baby-sat her in Huntington in 2016 will be delayed until he can be brought back to competency.
Roy Douglas Watts, 43, of Prichard, is facing an indictment of three counts each of sexual abuse by a person in position of trust and first-degree sexual assault, in addition to the single count of first-degree sexual abuse. However, defense attorney Jason Wible said Thursday in court, before Senior Status Judge Dan O’Hanlon, a mental evaluation had been returned for his client that stated he was currently incompetent to stand trial.
O’Hanlon ordered Watts be sent to William R. Sharpe Jr. Hospital, where he is expected to be returned to competency in 60 to 120 days. He will return to the courtroom Dec. 6 to see if his case can move forward.
The alleged abuse conducted by Watts occurred in October 2016 while the child’s mother was caring for a family member and left the young girl in Watts’ care, reports from the Cabell County Sheriff’s Office state.
The victim confided in her mother that Watts had “taught her about sex,” reports state, and that the 42-year-old had shown her pornographic videos and taken photos of her in her underwear.
The victim also stated Watts exposed himself and gave her a body massage.
Cabell County Sheriff Chuck Zerkle said Watts, who had previously been jailed and released prior to the investigation, may have begun abusing the girl as early as 2011.
The investigation began March 8, 2017, when deputies were first notified by the victim’s mother.