Five things you need to know today, Aug. 21
Take a look at the news in and around Odessa on Tuesday, Aug. 21. Find complete local news coverage in the Odessa American every day, online at oaoa.com and our daily E-Edition at myoaoa.com.
1. Three Odessa City Council seats, possibly four, are up for election this November, and candidates came out at the last minute to file for the positions.
2. Ector County Commissioners have set two public hearings to discuss a proposed property tax rate increase for the 2018-2019 fiscal year.
3. Following expressions of support from several community members, the Ector County Independent School District Board of Trustees voted to call a tax ratification election for Nov. 6 at their meeting Monday.
4. Students across Odessa headed back to school Monday with some special greetings. Athletes from Permian High School woke up early to greet students at Ireland Elementary School as their parents dropped them off.
5. A love triangle may be behind a deadly shooting last week that left one man dead and another injured, an affidavit details.