AP NEWS
Related topics

Coroner Agrees To Exhume Body

January 5, 1988

LOS ANGELES (AP) _ The coroner says he will comply with a judge’s order to unearth the remains of a wealthy woman whose sons allege she was killed by her second husband.

The decision follows two years of effort by the sons to have the remains of Nancy Ann Barwick exhumed and examined for evidence of foul play.

Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Ricardo Torres granted their request Dec. 28 and ordered the coroner, Dr. Richard Kornblum, to conduct an autopsy. Kornblum had opposed the autopsy request because Mrs. Barwick died outside Los Angeles County, but said Monday he would not appeal it.

Coroner’s spokesman Bob Dambacher said Tuesday that no date for the exhumation has been set.

On Feb. 20, 1985, Mrs. Barwick died within an hour of swimming to shore following the sinking of a steamer piloted by her second husband, Kenneth Barwick, during a storm off the island of Aruba in the Caribbean Sea.

Barwick now lives at his late wife’s home in Huntington Harbour.

He told authorities that after they swam to shore from a small lifeboat, his wifled their mother. The allegations came during an ongoing Orange County probate dispute over their mother’s estate, once estimated as worth more than $1 million.

The sons also have filed a wrongful-death suit against Barwick, 38, in Orange County Superior Court.

Barwick sought to block the sons’ request last week, saying the autopsy was unnecessary and would desecrate his wife’s remains. Last week, he said he would not appeal the judge’s ruling because he could not afford the legal expense.

AP RADIO
Update hourly