Student suspended after fight at Michigan City High School

December 3, 2018

MICHIGAN CITY – A female student attacked a male student at Michigan City High School, leaving the boy with minor injuries, and the girl suspended and facing criminal charges.

The incident occurred about 7:45 a.m. Oct. 30, according to a police report released Thursday. The student involved, a 17-year-old girl, was arrested this week and charged with misdemeanor battery, according to Michigan City Police.

The school resource officer said in his report that the student was late for class and was sent to the rec room, a “discipline area for tardy and insubordinate students.”

When the teacher asked her why she’d been sent there, the girl “began cursing at the teacher, calling her a (expletive), while becoming loud and belligerent,” the report said.

Another student, a 14-year-old boy, told the girl she was being “disrespectful” and should not curse at the teacher.

The girl then ran over to the boy and “began striking him aggressively several times in the face and the body,” before staff could intervene and stop her.

The girl continued her “abusive language and aggressive behavior” until the resource officer arrived. She was taken to the officer’s room, arrested for misdemeanor battery, and had one hand cuffed to a chair, the report said.

She then began cursing loudly again and threatening to kill herself, police said. She told the officer she was “upset after finding out that her best friend was in a relationship with her current boyfriend.”

She “slammed her head against the wall ... in an attempt to hurt herself, then did it a second time,” causing the officer to hold her to make her stop, the report said.

Her parents were called, and she calmed down and started crying, so she was uncuffed, the report said. Her father arrived to take her home, and was told to get her some help.

The boy who was attacked suffered redness on his body and face, the report said.

The girl was suspended from school, and when she returned on Thursday after a prolonged absence, she was arrested, police said. Her name is being withheld because of her age.

Update hourly