SIMI VALLEY, Calif. (AP) _ Prosecutors lost a last-minute bid Wednesday to tell jurors that a rookie Los Angeles officer accused of beating a motorist had seven years' experience with another department.

Superior Court Judge Stanley Weisberg said closing arguments would begin Monday, more than six weeks after testimony began in the case against four officers who beat Rodney King.

Testimony ended later with a brief appearance by a police academy classmate of one of the four officers. Weisberg said he would spend Thursday and perhaps part of Friday hearing legal arguments about his instructions for the jury.

Officer Timothy Wind, 31, was a rookie with the Los Angeles department but had served on a small police force in Shawnee, Kan., and attended a police academy there before coming to Los Angeles.

Deputy District Attorney Alan Yochelson said Wind's previous experience was relevant. He said the defense had inferred during the trial that Wind was ''naive, innocent and unschooled'' in police regulations.

But Weisberg rejected the prosecution's request because it was offered in rebuttal rather than in the prosecution's main case.

''Had Mr. Wind testified, this would have been proper rebuttal evidence,'' the judge said. ''But he didn't testify.''

Wind's lawyer, Paul DePasquale, argued that his client's experience on a 55-member force was irrelevant to his service on the 8,000-person Los Angeles department.

In Kansas, DePasquale said, ''Perhaps more time is spent getting cattle out of the street than dealing with unruly suspects.''

''Mr. DePasquale, you make Shawnee, Kansas, seem like a scene out of 'Gunsmoke' with Matt Dillon riding herd on cattle in the streets,'' Weisberg said.

''I'm sure that's how it seemed to Mr. Wind,'' said DePasquale.

Wind's codefendants are Sgt. Stacey Koon, 41, and officers Theodore Briseno, 39, and Laurence Powell, 29. Koon and Powell testified their use of force was justified; Briseno said he tried to stop the others.

King, who is black, was beaten by the white officers after an auto chase on March 3, 1991. A resident's videotape of the beating was broadcast worldwide and sparked protests of police brutality. It also strained race relations in Los Angeles.