BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) _ They carried the charred bodies, in clear plastic bags, from the hulk of the once-stately marble building - toward the national flag flying at half- mast, past the two-foot hole made by a cannon shot.

It was Friday and 92 people were dead. The material and human wreckage of tragedy was being cleaned up, as it always must be.

A 28-hour siege of terror imposed on the Palace of Justice by a band of leftist guerrillas was over, ended by the army the day before with a ferocity this South American nation has not seen in 30 years of rebel insurgency.

The yellow, blue and red flag flapped its message of mourning from atop the legislative building across the spacious Bolivar Plaza, named for Simon Bolivar the liberator, who wrenched the continent free of Spanish rule.

All but one of the Supreme Court's 24 justices were among the hostages and half were among the dead. Many bodies were nearly consumed by fire that swept the five-story building.

''We saw many bodies, or rather pieces of bodies, completely burned,'' said Hector Horacio Vargas, a member of the national Congress. ''You could hardly tell where the spine, the bones, the legs or the pelvic region had been.''

A blackened head was the only recognizable part of the body in one bag.

The fire began on the first floor shortly ater the April 19 Movement guerrillas shot their way through the building and began burning court records. It spread to the west wing, and the flames could be seen from much of the city all Wednesday night.

Inside, the way to live was to hide. ''When the shooting started, I closed the door to my office and hid under my desk,'' a secretary said. ''I was there several hours until I was rescued by the military.''

Those who survived told chilling tales, of hiding in terror, of judges murdered as they begged the guerrillas to negotiate with the government.

''They shot Judge Manuel Gaona Cruz here,'' Jorge Antonio Reina, touching his forehead hesitantly with his fingertip. ''They made him lie down on the floor and that's where they shot him.''

The gunmen took away Humberto Murcia's artificial right leg and chopped it to pieces. The Supreme Court justice survived, and was taken from the building on a stretcher after the army assault Thursday.

Ricardo Perdoma, an attorney, said the hostages ''waited to die. Hardly anybody could run because we could not see anything through the smoke.''

The building's smudged facade is chipped by bullets. What once were office windows stare vacantly.

A two-foot hole made by an artillery round gapes beside the great doors, two stories high, that a tank smashed open when the assault began.

Above the doors is the inscription: ''The arms have given independence. The laws will give liberty.''

-11-08-85 1925EST