AP NEWS
Related topics

Suspect Arrested in Attack on U.S. Lugers

November 8, 1993

MEININGEN, Germany (AP) _ A suspect in the neo-Nazi attack on members of the U.S. luge team is back in jail, but a court rejected arrest warrants for two others, a prosecutor said Monday.

About 15 neo-Nazis beat up luge star Duncan Kennedy in a bar in the eastern German mountain resort of Oberhof on Oct. 29. Kennedy stood his ground and was assaulted by skinheads who had taunted a black teammate.

The incident raised concern among U.S. winter sports athletes about coming to Germany to train for the Winter Olympics in Norway in February.

Prosecutor Peter Moeckel said the court in nearby Suhl ordered the rearrest over the weekend of a 21-year-old suspect, one of five people first arrested immediately after the attack. Four were quickly released while a fifth was kept in jail for a separate crime, the beating of a German last year.

The prosecutor’s office is appealing the court’s refusal to order the arrests of two other suspects, Moeckel said. Prosecutors say a total of 12 people are suspected in the attack. German authorities rarely release the names of crime suspects.

The failure of judges to immediately jail those charged focused criticism on the German courts, which are accused of being too lenient with young right- wing thugs.

About 4,800 violent acts, including 26 killings, have been blamed on far- right extremists in Germany since 1991.

AP RADIO
Update hourly