Related topics

Israeli Shot In West Bank City; Two Palestinians Killed by Their Own Bomb

July 30, 1985

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) _ An Israeli civilian was fatally shot in the back by an unknown assailant in the occupied West Bank city of Nablus today, officials said.

An official at the Tel Hashomer Hospital outside Tel Aviv said the man died several hours after being hospitalized. He declined to identify the victim, saying his family had not yet been notified.

Israeli military sources said the victim worked as a civilian employee of the army in Nablus and lived in the northern Israeli town of Afula, where anti-Arab violence broke out last week following the terrorist killing of two Israeli teachers.

Large police forces were dispatched to Afula to stop disturbances which broke out when news of the shooting reached the town, Israel army radio reported.

The sources, who declined to be identified in keeping with army regulations, said a curfew was imposed on the Nablus neighborhood where the attack took place and residents were confined to their homes while searches for the assailant were conducted.

Nablus police spokesman Ovadiah Zorea confirmed an Israel Radio report that the man was shot by an unidentified attacker in the center of the predominantly Arab city of about 50,000 people.

Zorea said earlier that two Palestinians died Monday while preparing a powerful bomb near Nablus.

He said in a telephone interview that two bodies were found by a local resident in a junk yard near the village of Tubas northeast of Nablus.

″Parts of their bodies were strewn in a field″ next to their Peugeot 504 car, which appeared torn apart by a powerful explosion, he said.

Family members identified remnants of their clothing and other remains, he said. The two men had been reported missing last Friday.

Asked whether they could have been killed by Jewish vigilantes seeking revenge for last week’s terrorist killings of two Israeli teachers, a police source said, ″It doesn’t appear likely.″ He refused to elaborate or to be identified.

The Palestine Press Service, which monitors events in the West Bank, had identified the two missing Palestinians as Ahmed Daraghma, 24, and his uncle, Rashid Daraghma, 25. It said they disappeared on their way home from visiting relatives in Nablus.

The service said Rashid Daraghma was a chemistry graduate from An-Najah University in Nablus and was employed as a chemist, and his nephew was a farmer.

Tensions between Jews and Arabs were high in the West Bank and northern Israel following the murder of two schoolteachers last week near the town of Afula, 75 miles north of Jerusalem.

On Friday, police arrested three teen-age shepherds from the village of Arabuna, about 12 miles north of Tubas, and said they confessed to killing the teachers.

Police detained dozens of Jews after protesters attacked Arabs and stoned Arab-owned cars and businesses in Afula over the weekend. The killings also sparked calls for imposition of the death sentence for terrorist acts.

Police Minister Chaim Bar-Lev said the teen-agers acted on their own initiative and did not belong to any organized terrorist group. He also said that in the past year there had been an escalation of Palestinian terror attacks on Jews.

Update hourly