Patrons can donate to Mitten Tree for fine forgiveness
Briggs Lawrence County Public Library invites everyone to help others while helping themselves by donating to the library’s annual Mitten Tree campaign. With a donation of new (or new, hand-made) mittens, gloves, hats, scarves or socks, library patrons may ask to have a portion of their outstanding fines on returned overdue items waived.
For each item donated, $1 in outstanding library fines (up to a maximum of $5) will be waived. Donations of new mittens, gloves, scarves or hats for people of all ages are accepted. All overdue items must have been returned and charges for lost or damaged items cannot be waived.
The Mitten Tree Campaign runs from Monday, Nov. 26 through Saturday, Dec. 8.
For whatever reason, library patrons may have unpaid fines on returned overdue items that prevent them from using their library cards.
Donations to the Mitten Trees allow these patrons to help others by helping themselves. When we waive their outstanding fines, they can once again check out books or movies.
The five Briggs Library locations use the donated items to decorate Christmas trees in the library and then when the promotion is over, local charities receive the bounty of these donations.
Donations from those who don’t owe fines are always gratefully accepted. Many of the items used to decorate the trees are from patrons who just want to contribute.
Young children and their caregivers are invited to enjoy stories, music, rhymes, games and crafts at all Briggs Library locations. This week’s preschool schedule is:
Storytime for ages 3 to 5
• Ironton at 11 a.m. Mondays
• Proctorville at 11 a.m. Tuesdays
• South Point at 11 a.m. Wednesdays
• Chesapeake at 11 a.m. Thursdays (closed Nov. 22 for Thanksgiving)
• Symmes Valley at 3 p.m. Thursdays
Toddler Time for ages 2 and 3
• Ironton at 11 a.m. Tuesdays
The public is invited to any Briggs Library event. Other items on the schedule for Nov. 22-28 are:
• Thanksgiving Day: All Briggs Library locations closed.
• Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2 p.m.: Crochet Club at the South Point library.
• Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2 p.m.: Gift Bow craft at the Proctorville library.
• Tuesday, Nov. 27, 6 p.m.: Adult Christmas Craft at the Symmes Valley library.
• Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2 p.m.: Bingo for Fun and Prizes at the Chesapeake library.
For up-to-date information on activities at Briggs Library, visit our website at www.briggslibrary.com and click on the Event Calendar button.