AP NEWS

Scattered showers possible in northern, western areas

May 8, 2019

There’s a chance for scattered showers throughout North Carolina, meteorologist Elizabeth Gardner said, as temperatures and humidity increase.

A high-pressure system is feeding warm air and moisture into the state. There was lingering cloud coverage Wednesday morning, but visibility was mostly clear.

Areas in the mountains and near the North Carolina-Virginia border could see scattered showers Wednesday afternoon. Gardner said it’s not likely that the Triangle will see much rain.

Both Wednesday and Thursday have expected highs of 83 degrees and a 20 percent chance of rain.

A low-pressure system is bringing storms with lightning and rain to Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas.

That system is expected to reach North Carolina on Sunday, but its storms will be less severe by then.

Saturday has a 40 percent chance of rain, and Sunday has a 60 percent chance of rain.

Once the storms move out, though, Monday and Tuesday should be sunny, with highs in the mid-70s.