Then And Now: Scranton Athletic Club Hotel (now South Side Senior Center, 425 Alder St.)
On June 19, 1899, Charles Rose opened the Athletic Club Hotel at 425 Alder St. in Scranton with great fanfare, offering a lavish supper as well as dance music provided by the Keystone Orchestra and the Ringgold Band. The hotel billed itself as the “headquarters for manly sports,” and offered guest amenities such as a top-shelf bar and telephone service. Rose fell ill in 1907, and the hotel was taken over by Jacob Schrieber, who operated it until 1910.
The building continued to be a social center, morphing into the South Side Athletic Club after the hotel closed. Over the years, it served as headquarters for the Junior Order of American Mechanics, the Men’s and Women’s Republican Clubs, the Ladies Harmony Club and the Independent Order of Reindeer. The club also had bowling lanes and a junior bowling club. Today, it is the site of the South Side Senior Center.