AP NEWS

Blough home destroyed by fire; furnace may be to blame

November 28, 2018

Snow, smoke and water descended on firefighters Tuesday night as they shot their hoses into a burning home at 193 Front St. in Quemahoning Township.

Hooversville Fire Chief Jim Karashowsky said the home was a total loss after the fire, which may have been caused by a malfunctioning furnace.

He was unable to provide the homeowner’s name, but he said the owner was remodeling the home and was not living in it. No one was home at the time of the fire, which was reported as smoke in a structure shortly after 5 p.m.

“Ten minutes in, we got a second call that it was a working fire,” he said as white smoke flew over his head. “Heavy fire was showing from all corners.”

A fire marshal was called, but Karashowsky said the fire is not considered suspicious. He was unable to say if the home was insured.

A home next door was also damaged slightly from the blaze when the fire scorched the nearest wall.

Karashowsky said Stoystown, Scalp Level and Conemaugh Township EMS assisted at the scene, and they had no issues with water or weather.

“It’d be nice if it was warmer,” he said, laughing. “But weather was not a major factor.”

AP RADIO
Update hourly