Edelman, Gilmore Sharp on Camp’s 2nd Day
By Kevin Duffy
FOXBORO -- Two days of training camp are in the books, and the pads are about to come on.
The intensity will surely ramp up when the New England Patriots hold their first fully padded practice on Saturday morning.
Here are the highlights from Friday:
* All players were present, including WR Malcolm Mitchell.
Mitchell came out wearing his No. 19 jersey and participated in warmups. Shortly afterward, he departed to the lower field for conditioning work. He was joined by players on the PUP list, including CB Cyrus Jones, CB Jonathan Jones, S Nate Ebner, WR Kenny Britt, and WR Matthew Slater.
* OT Marcus Cannon exited about an hour into practice. He walked slowly around the field with trainer Jim Whalen and eventually left. The nature of his injury wasn’t immediately clear.
Cannon was placed on injured reserve late in 2017 with an ankle injury.
* RB Brandon Bolden, who began camp on the non-football illness list, returned to practice.
* CB Stephon Gilmore made a leaping pass breakup against WR Julian Edelman in 11-on-11s. Gilmore floated in the air and batted the ball away with his right hand. The play was almost identical to his game-sealing breakup in the AFC Championship.
* Edelman hauled in an over-the-shoulder touchdown grab on a wheel route during 11s. QB Brian Hoyer dropped the ball in perfectly, and Edelman beat the coverage and raced down the right sideline to make the grab.
* CB Jason McCourty had an impressive pass breakup down the right sideline against WR Chris Hogan. McCourty ran with Hogan stride for stride and swatted the ball away. McCourty was wearing mitts to prevent him from grabbing the opposing receivers.
* WR Cordarrelle Patterson made an acrobatic catch in the right corner of the end zone on a deep ball from Tom Brady. This was a solid day for Patterson, whose athleticism could earn him a niche role on offense (in addition to his duties on special teams, where he has practiced as a kick returner and gunner).
* Rookie CB J.C. Jackson intercepted a Brian Hoyer pass during 11-on-11s. Fellow rookie CB Keion Crossen nearly came down with a leaping interception during goal line 4-on-4 drills.
* S Devin McCourty intercepted rookie QB Danny Etling during goal line 11-on-11s.
* OT LaAdrian Waddle took Cannon’s spot on the right side of the offensive line. For the second straight day, Trent Brown lined up at left tackle.
* As was the case on Thursday, CB Eric Rowe got the majority of reps opposite Stephon Gilmore. Jason McCourty and undrafted rookie J.C. Jackson were next in line at cornerback.
* During special teams drills, QB Tom Brady worked alone with WR Chris Hogan, WR Phillip Dorsett, RB James White, and TE Rob Gronkowski.
* The running backs are getting mixed in throughout practice. The reps seem to be fairly evenly distributed. Sony Michel, Rex Burkhead, James White, Jeremy Hill, and Mike Gillislee are all seeing playing time.
* This wasn’t the most efficient day for Tom Brady, who went 7-for-14 in competitive 11-on-11s.
* WR Jordan Matthews went down late in practice, but remained on the field. He didn’t appear to be seriously injured.
* Edelman received reps at punt returner. WR Braxton Berrios, WR Chris Hogan, WR Riley McCarron, and S Patrick Chung also worked at the position.
WR Cordarrelle Patterson and rookie CB Keion Crossen were the gunners on the punt team.
* Former Patriots WR Tiquan Underwood was a guest at practice. He spent time chatting with Bill Belichick beforehand.