Italian pulls flu vaccine following deaths
MILAN (AP) — Italy has pulled two batches of a flu vaccine for the elderly as a precaution following deaths.
The head of Italy’s pharmaceutical agency said Friday that five people died after receiving the shot, but that so far there was no indication that the vaccines caused the deaths. Luca Pani told Sky Tg24 that initial analyses appear to indicate that the batches are not contaminated.
Novartis, the maker of the drug, said in a statement that no causal link had been found. It said it was working with Italian authorities. According to Novartis, more than 65 million doses of Fluad have been distributed since its approval in 1997.