AP NEWS
Related topics

Carbon monoxide sickens 60 elementary school pupils

January 16, 1997

OREM, Utah (AP) _ Four elementary school pupils passed out when carbon monoxide from a furnace leaked through heating vents into their classrooms.

Sixty pupils at the Sharon Elementary School were sickened, and at least 38 were treated at hospitals for dizziness and nausea.

A furnace air duct clogged with snow and ice from recent storms was thought to have led to the release of the fumes, Alpine School District spokesman Michael Robinson.

After the four pupils, three of whom were first-graders, passed out, Principal Muffet Reeves quickly ordered all 550 pupils out of the building. Most of the children were taken to a Mormon Church ward house two blocks away, where parents picked them up.

``They were out of the building faster than I’ve ever seen them. They knew it was not a drill,″ Reeves said.

The school, 31 miles south of Salt Lake City, was expected to reopen Thursday.