Beko U.S., Inc. Earns 2019 ENERGY STAR® Sustained Excellence Award after Winning Partner of the Year for Third Consecutive Year
BOLINGBROOK, Ill.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Apr 9, 2019--Beko U.S., Inc. received the 2019 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Award in the product brand owner category for a third consecutive year having demonstrated energy efficiency best practices and proved organization-wide energy savings. Beko also was recognized as ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award, the highest honor bestowed to partners that have won consecutive ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year awards.
“Our sustainability commitment is rooted in a broader goal to bring better, more innovative appliances designed with consumers’ wellness in mind,” said Hasan Ali Yardimci, president, Beko U.S., Inc. “Receiving this award every year since we entered the U.S. market in 2016 validates and encourages our continued efforts to offer products with beautiful aesthetic designs and energy efficient engineering.”
The award win was driven by key energy efficiency innovations introduced by Beko last year, including:
- Its dishwasher models were transitioned to a new platform designed to meet ENERGY STAR’s Most Efficient criteria, a measure of total energy savings that products must meet to be recognized as the most efficient ENERGY STAR products. As a result, its dishwasher platform managed to increase the number of place settings while maintaining water and energy consumption. Some dishwashers were designed to decrease decibel noise levels by 1-2dBA, while others exceeded Most Efficient criteria by 67 percent through implementing a compact and modular hydraulic system with a brushless DC circulation pump motor that integrates with the heater.
- Its clothes washers met the 2018 Most Efficient criteria for 1.6 cubic feet capacities or more. In addition, the company introduced a series of redesigned models with new facia and additional wash cycles designed to improve cleaning performance by 10 percent. This new series of washers also added a new check valve, designed to reduce detergent loss in the wash cycle.
- Its four-door French freestanding refrigerator being introduced in 2019, which offers a multi-zone convertible compartment using a R600a refrigerant to reduce the environmental impact and improve the thermodynamic performance.
“Our products are not bound simply by design, but engineered to meet the most stringent energy efficiency requirements for a more sustainable future,” said Sazi Bugay, product director, Beko U.S., Inc. “With this strict level of commitment, we are able to offer smart eco-friendly solutions to preserve energy, water and time that enrich the lives of consumers who are conscious about their environmental impact.”
Additional key accomplishments in energy efficiency include:
- A program to recycle loads of mixed appliances (ranges, refrigerators, dishwashers, and microwave ovens). With a minimum load weight of three tons required, over 6,500 lbs. was collected over three months and recycled.
- A paper, plastics and aluminum recycling program in their U.S. Headquarters in 2017 and added battery recycling to that program in 2018.
- Assisted Environmental Protection Agency in the launch of heat pump dryer technology.
Parent company, Arçelik, was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Emerging Markets Index (DJSI), the gold standard of corporate responsibility reporting for the asset management community. Being recognized for two straight years, Arçelik is the only Turkish industrial company to be included in DJSI.
Beko’s accomplishments will be recognized by the U.S. EPA and the U.S. Department of Energy at a ceremony in Washington, D.C. on April 11, 2019.
“I applaud the 2019 ENERGY STAR Award Winners,” said Bill Wehrum, assistant administrator for air and radiation, EPA. “Their innovation and leadership enhance America’s economic competitiveness. Reducing costly energy waste improves air quality and public health while protecting the environment.”
Beko U.S. is a subsidiary of Arçelik A.S., which continues to recycle within its factories across the world and its corporate headquarters in Istanbul, Turkey. Arçelik A.S. earned “Climate A List Company – Global 2017 Climate & Water Leadership Award” by the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP), and was graded “AAA” by MSCI Global Sustainability Index Series, which includes companies with high environmental, social and governance ratings relative to their sector peers.
About Beko U.S., Inc.
Beko U.S., Inc. is a subsidiary of Arçelik A.S. whose vision is “Respect The Globe, Respected Globally.” The company’s two brands (Beko and Blomberg) are committed to developing highly energy efficient home appliances that deliver advanced technology and superior features, empowering your family to live healthier. The Beko brand has a growing presence in 140 countries and is the fastest growing brand in Europe. The Blomberg brand has been a leading choice of developers across North America since 2008. From 2017 to 2019, Beko U.S., Inc. received the Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Award for its outstanding contributions to protecting the environment through energy efficiency. In 2019, Beko U.S., Inc. was recognized with an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award. For more information, visit www.bekoappliances.com or www.blombergappliances.com.
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR ® is the government-backed symbol for energy efficiency, providing simple, credible, and unbiased information that consumers and businesses rely on to make well-informed decisions. Thousands of industrial, commercial, utility, state, and local organizations—including more than 40 percent of the Fortune 500®—rely on their partnership with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to deliver cost-saving energy efficiency solutions. Since 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners helped save American families and businesses nearly 4 trillion kilowatt-hours of electricity and achieve over 3 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas reductions. In 2017 alone, ENERGY STAR and its partners helped Americans avoid $30 billion in energy costs. More background information about ENERGY STAR can be found at: energystar.gov/about and energystar.gov/numbers.
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190409005188/en/
CONTACT: Greg Avdoian
KEYWORD: UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA ILLINOIS
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: ENERGY UTILITIES HOME GOODS MANUFACTURING ENGINEERING ENVIRONMENT RETAIL
SOURCE: Beko U.S., Inc.
Copyright Business Wire 2019.
PUB: 04/09/2019 12:23 PM/DISC: 04/09/2019 12:23 PM