Ex-Milford judicial marshal pleads not guilty to sex assault

February 15, 2019

BRIDGEPORT - A former judicial marshal accused of sexually assaulting a woman he had assisted in the Milford courthouse pleaded not guilty Friday.

Ezekiel Carr Jr., who resigned as a marshal following his arrest, entered his plea before Superior Court Judge Robert Devlin to first-degree sexual assault, third-degree sexual assault and first-degree unlawful restraint. He asked for a jury trial

The judge continued the case to March 8.

“He was a highly respected judicial marshal and has been for years,” said Carr’s lawyer, Hugh Keefe, as they left the Fairfield County Courthouse. “Hopefully this will work out for him.”

Police said the victim complained on Oct. 22, that she had been at the Milford courthouse for a legal matter and asked a marshal, whom she later identified as Carr, what courtroom she should be in. Police said the woman told then that later, during a court recess, Carr had approached her and told her to take a walk with him so that he could discuss her case with him.

While walking in the direction of the train station, when police said, Carr grabbed the woman by the neck and roughly kissed her.

“I told him I didn’t brush my teeth, but he kissed me anyway. He shoved his whole tongue down my throat. While he’s kissing me, he put his hands in my pants,” police said the woman told them. “I told him I had a disease, that I couldn’t have sex. He was like, ‘I don’t care.’’’

She said Carr then raped her, according to police. After the assault, she told police, Carr told her to go back into the courthouse and “put her smile back on.”

Police said that when the woman went back into the courthouse she told a family relations counselor what she claimed Carr had done to her. The counselor then told police.

Police said that when they later confronted Carr with the woman’s allegations, he said he had sex with her, but that she had dared him to do it and that it had been consensual.

According to a Dec. 4, 2018, arrest summary log from Milford police, Carr was taken into custody on Nov. 28, 2018, for an active warrant for his arrest, charging him with first-degree sexual assault, third-degree sexual assault and first-degree unlawful restraint.