This Week In Nebraska History, 08/19/18
1878: Millers were paying 68 cents for a bushel of wheat, corn brought 20 cents and the top price for hogs was $3.50.
1888: Three new businesses filed articles of incorporation in Lincoln: Vitrified Paving & Pressed Brick Co., Lincoln Paper Manufacturing Co. and the Lincoln Saddlery Co.
1898: A.G. Wolfenbarger, lecturer at the Methodists’ Epworth Assembly in Lincoln Park, told hundreds of people that rum is more deadly than “all the Spanish guns and ammunition” put together. Liquor traffic, he said, was the most momentous question of the age.
1908: Possibly 15,000 Nebraskans turned out in Lincoln to honor Democratic presidential candidate William Jennings Bryan when he got the formal notification of his nomination. It was the first time a presidential candidate had ever been formally notified west of the Mississippi.
1918: A statement by Gov. Keith Neville that he was enforcing Prohibition was challenged as untruthful by the Omaha Committee of 500 and the Douglas County Women’s Christian Temperance Union.
1928: The new Capitol stretched 217 feet into the sky, just 113 feet from its finished height, and a Lincoln newspaper was assuring readers half in jest that the 32-foot statue to be placed on top, “The Sower,” was not to be the figure of a seamstress who might be singing “Song of the Shirt” with needle and thread poised in hand.
1938: Incumbent Gov. R. L. Cochran easily won the Democratic primary and was to face Republican Charles Warner in the November election. Some 33,000 Nebraskans voted.
1948: The Department of Agriculture estimated the state’s corn crop at 256,320,000 bushels - the second largest in seven years. Yield per acre was estimated at 36 bushels. Tentative plans were announced for construction of five reservoirs to irrigate 150,000 acres in the Niobrara Valley.
1958: Lincoln’s estimated 2,500 hay fever sufferers dug in for about six weeks of suffering as Russian thistle, ragweed, hemp, marsh elder, cocklebur, kochia and Mexican firebush began to pollinate across the state.
1968: An eight-project, $20 million package of real estate transactions and construction projects was announced, including a new 20-story First National Bank building to occupy the Lindell Hotel corner, 13th and M streets, and transfer of the Central Telephone and Utilities Corp. headquarters from 10th and M streets to the bank’s 12th and N streets building.
1978: The Lancaster County Agricultural Association Board chose a possible site for construction of a county fair building. The site selected was west of the 14th Street entrance to the State Fairgrounds and north of the National Guard building.
1988: “Betsy,” Lincoln’s only remaining attendant-operated elevator, made its final trip skyward. The elevator was piloted by Evelyn Ramsey for almost a decade. It was inside the Lincoln Building at 10th and O streets. Betsy was replaced by a more efficient, push-button-style elevator.
1998: Journal Star reporter Joe Duggan traveled with group of 39 - mostly young people from Nebraska - on a 10-day tour of India. Stops included India’s biggest city, Calcutta, and one of its smallest, a fishing village called Konark. His travels were reported in a Sunday Special, “Changing Lives: Joe Duggan in India.”